Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Feminism

I am so sick of reading feminist garbage. Especially here at BYU. You'd think that people would realize that intense feminism doesn't mesh well with ... oh, I dunno ... The Proclamation on the Family.

And I'm definitely bothered that my English 295 professor thinks that a stupid "coming of age" book by a feminist science fiction author should be handed out with the For the Strength of Youth pamphlets. Or when she says, "I'd like to have a chat with Tommy Monson about that." EXCUSE ME? You're at odds with something the PROPHET is saying? Hm. Well. That doesn't bode well for your eternal salvation. At least, this is how it seems to me when I regard certain religiously significant historical texts. Like the Bible. Book of Mormon. That kind of stuff. But that's totally your call, professor.

It's not that I'm opposed to progression and rights for women. Women deserve rights. We should have equal value alongside men. Where I start to diverge with feminism is in regards to traditional vs. modern roles. Women belong in the home. Not because they're less qualified in the workplace, but because they are more qualified in the home. And let's not ignore the fact that there's this whole concept of children needing to be raised ... yeah. Kind of important. I mean, if a woman has to be in the workplace, then she ought to get the same pay for the same work a man would do, that kind of stuff ... but ... you know what I'm saying.

I'm just so confused as to why my professors seem to be such staunch feminists .... and members of the Church. I feel like that's something you can't straddle for very long without jumping off one side. I'm lost. But more than lost, I'm annoyed. Very annoyed with having feminism shoved down my throat like an old, stinky sock. Poo on you feminism.

No comments:

Post a Comment