Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Travelling Alone

When you're travelling alone for long periods of time, it's best not to think about the things you miss. At least, not at the beginning when they will be able to haunt you for months. Maybe wait until the last couple of weeks (or days, depending on your fortitude) before you let your brain start thinking of these things. Distract yourself, and for goodness' sake, make sure you have lots of Nutella all the time. You know, for when you crack a little bit. Nutella's like plaster; works just the same, I swear it.

When you're stuck sleeping on a couch, it's best not to think about how much you miss your bed.
When your flat iron just doesn't seem to want to work with your power converter, try not to think about how much you miss American electrical plugs.
When you come home, are locked out, and spend the next four hours walking aimlessly around some of London's nicer boroughs, try not to think about how much nicer it would be to just wait at a friend's house for your roommate to come home.
Or how nice it would be to have a key in the first place.
When you're walking across the street and you can't brain which direction traffic is supposed to be flowing, try not to think about how much you miss the level of certainty with which you jaywalked.
When you're starving, try not to think about how much you miss having a full-sized kitchen where you had all the ingredients to make cookies.
Try not to think about how much you miss not feeling like an intruder in someone else's home.
Try not to think about how much you miss having real friends to do things with.

I need to stop posting things like this. I'm not having a terrible time, I swear. I'm just generally stressed right now and so hungry that I don't hardly know what to do with myself. And can I tell you how many livestock I would kill for a Café Rio sweet pork salad right now? Like twelve. I'm not desperate enough to start killing people, but I would shoot twelve cows right now for one of those bad boys. Plus they can later become my McDoubles. Omnomnomnomnom.

No comments:

Post a Comment