Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Oh La La London ... &ct.

In the wake of destruction caused by my approaching field study in the grandmotherland, my poor blog here has been neglected. Blame it on the fact that I'm blogging thrice-plus a week for my field study prep class—I feel like I'm on here all the time, and so it can't possibly have been that long since I last blogged. Anyways, you can check out the fun link over there to see how my project and whatnot is progressing. Right now it's pretty boring because I have to be constantly reflecting on readings and whatnot, but I hope that it'll get more interesting once I actually, you know, leave the country.

Moving right along ... I've nothing really wonderfully interesting to tell anyone about or talk about right now, so I'll give you a couple of blurbs about what's been happening to me since school started:
  • Three consecutive class periods delivering 15-20 minute presentations in English 620. That being said, graduate classes are AWESOME, and so much more interesting than regular classes. Also, easier. 
  • A Saturday in Park City for the Sundance Film Festival. Awesome to keep the tradition going, but all in all that was probably one of the worst days of the semester. A quick summary of the awfulness: bad weather, frozen feet, a hour long nauseous bus ride, and then a 3-hours-in-horrific-terrifying-dangerous-weather-whilst-being-simultaneously-super-nauseous-and-in-pain-à-la-the-flu-car-ride followed by four hours being miserable alone in bed, and topping the night off with offering up pineapple-and-Canadian-bacon oblations at the altar of the porcelain god. 
  • A super rad 3-day weekend in Vegas spent enjoying a time at the Hoover Dam (so many dam jokes...) and on the strip (love me some Bellagio fountains ... seriously though, they're inspiring), and bouldering in Red Rock Canyon with new dinner groupies that I absolutely adore. Also, having a full-on picnic in a Wendy's, defying gravity, being an awesome Kinect volleyball player, calling Colorado home, and it was just awesome, okay? Here's some photos I stole from Caitlin because I accidentally left my camera at home: 
Hoover Dam :)
At the top :)
I'm somewhere in this photo.
Wonderful, wonderful fountains.

But enough about how much my life is such the best all the time. :)


I was lucky enough to stumble upon (and not StumbleUpon) a pretty awesome website this weekend. It's called ThoughtCatalog.com. It's kind of like a group blog/non-fiction-journalism-musing-awesome-ness that I really love. I highly recommend the following post: You Should Date an Illiterate Girl

Didn't tempt you? Here's an excerpt: 
Don’t date a girl who reads because girls who read are the storytellers. You with the Joyce, you with the Nabokov, you with the Woolf. You there in the library, on the platform of the metro, you in the corner of the café, you in the window of your room. You, who make my life so expletives difficult. The girl who reads has spun out the account of her life and it is bursting with meaning. She insists that her narratives are rich, her supporting cast colorful, and her typeface bold. You, the girl who reads, make me want to be everything that I am not. But I am weak and I will fail you, because you have dreamed, properly, of someone who is better than I am. You will not accept the life that I told of at the beginning of this piece. You will accept nothing less than passion, and perfection, and a life worthy of being storied.
Seriously. Go read it. It's stupendous. And I'm sorry about the expletives. But it's really so, so, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment