Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

In Memorium. Sort of.

Last summer, I became a full-blown Fossil fan. I'm still too painfully frugal to buy anything at full price, but being a mere hour away from a Fossil Outlet, and having a Dillards five minutes away that has ridiculously fantastic sales makes Fossil much more accessible. While I love all of my purchases oh-so-very-much, I particularly loved a certain red striped scarf. Do you all remember it?


Scarfy at Sundance with friends.

Scarfy likes pizza.

Me, Scarfy, and our sidewalk manfriend.
This picture would be nothing without Scarfy, let's be honest.

How could you forget it? It's made more appearances in pictures of me than any other accessory I have, and has starred in two consecutive profile pictures. Really, it doesn't get much better than that scarf. It's red, striped, stretchy, and it's Fossil. Swoonarama.

Some of you might also remember the tragic day in ... probably February when Scarfy, that dear, sweet, stretchy, beloved scarf, was abducted, never to be seen again. It all happened on a very rough day, a day on which Heather and I went to the gym. It was cold outside, so I had worn my scarf up to class that day. Having become exhausted earlier than my fellow healthy people, I had gotten changed first, and took a seat outside the gym doors. While I waited, I was still very warm and indoors, so I put my coat and scarf in my backpack. At some point in the process of getting out a book to read and returning that book to my backpack, I removed Scarfy, and because of the angle of my vision relative to the ground and my seat ... I was not able to see my beloved scarf when I grabbed my things and walked away, leaving that precious scarf behind.

One rotten, nightmare of an evening later, (it was a Wednesday, and I had a late class, and, as I recall, the whole day had been a nightmare. Even my family here in MO remembers it because I called my mom about how miserable and terrible it was, topped off by the loss of my scarf), I went looking for Scarfy down at the Smith Fieldhouse. I asked if anyone had turned it in to the desk outside the gym--no one had.

Now tell me: if you had found a scarf like Scarfy, would you return it to the desk instead of taking it with you? Like heck you would! You'd have taken it too because it's JUST THAT AWESOME. This is unfortunate for me because I never saw Scarfy again. I'm sure someone, somewhere is keeping that scarf hidden until next winter so that they can pretend that they bought it and not have to worry about me catching them in their thievery on campus (because believe me, I looked at every single reddish scarf I saw for like a month, hoping to catch the thief red-necked). I'm pretty sure I cried on my way home that day, and it took me a long time to get over it. Scarfy, you will be missed ...

... or rather, not so much.

What is this blasphemy?! you ask. Well, let me tell you (and really, I should have told you a couple of weeks ago when it happened ... I've just been a loser and not told anyone for inexplicable and unaccountable reasons):

Over Memorial Day weekend, I returned to the Fossil outlet, hoping to perhaps catch a glimpse of a Scarfy-scarf. Unfortunately, those dreams were not to be realized...

... until Memorial Day itself (2 days after my fruitless search at the outlet) when my mom, having just returned from Vegas, pulled out the exact same scarf (which she had purchased at a Fossil outlet in Vegas) and gave it to me :)

Needless to say, I am BEYOND HAPPY. I love my scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment